Demanding, High Security Hosted Environment.
Dual Tracks: Investigative And Major Case Management.
A large, government-run workplace safety and worker’s compensation organization needed a solution to support in-house investigations using major case management (MCM) methodology. MCM is often used in major police investigations for cases involving deaths, abductions and other serious crimes. The need for an electronic case management software solution was fueled by the organization’s desire to make information management more efficient and effective, and to align to new MCM business models and practices. The goal was to ensure a consistent approach to all investigations, from initial case intake through completion to possible court disclosure, in both small and large complex cases.
Within the Workplace Safety organization, there are two key departments responsible to promote the investigation services mandate:
1. The Field Investigations Department investigates fraudulent activities that undermine the financial integrity of the organization and of the accident fund.
- This department provides specialized investigation assistance for claims, prevention, assessments, mental health investigations, claims suppression and other functional areas.
- Refers cases of fraud to Crown Counsel for criminal prosecution.
- Supports development of fraud awareness and best practices for prevention.
- Administers the Board’s surveillance program.
- Conducts open source investigations using social media.
2. The Fatal and Serious Injury Investigations Department investigates serious and fatal injury workplace accidents to:
- Determine causation, underlying factors and identify contributing compliance issues.
- Provide recommendations to industry to aid in the prevention of future injury.
- Gather information to help monitor and analyze industry trends on workplace fatalities, serious injuries, and diseases.
- Determine violations of the Workers’ Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety regulations and refer cases for prosecution or administrative penalties, when necessary.
- Provide specialized investigative assistance to other areas of the organization.
Key Requirements for Investigative Case Management Software
The software needed to support MCM and meet the basic objectives of major case investigations such as documentation and preservation. With different evidentiary requirements for regulatory and prosecutorial cases, the system would have to provide functionality to transition these cases seamlessly. The solution would also enhance managerial accountability, proper delegation of responsibilities, efficient and effective use of resources, auditable and consistent standards, efficient disclosure and the use of current procedures in the seizure and preservation of evidence. The solution required scalability with functionality that supported both the Fatal and Serious Injury departments (FSI) and Field Investigations (FI) for investigations ranging in size and complexity. The software needed to:
- Enable a ‘regulatory’ case to be transitioned into a prosecutorial case without having to create the latter from scratch.
- Allow for organization, management and retrieval of information at any stage of the investigation.
- Provide a repository for storage of information from various mediums.
- Have sophisticated reporting capabilities that can analyze potentially large volumes of investigative data including multimedia files that could be collected during major investigations.
- Support disclosure and reporting at any point in the investigation process including reports to prosecutors.
- Include a security model that can manage at the role, functionality or document level.
After a months-long search and thorough solution vetting process, the organization selected Xanalys Investigation Manager (XIM) provided by Xanalys – The Investigation Software Company™. The solution is offered as both a traditional enterprise deployment and as a hosted SaaS model. The client chose the latter model due to ease of implementation and faster ROI.
XIM supported the customer’s investigation management process, from the capture of the initial incident report, through to the presentation of evidence in court. XIM provides a collaborative and secure environment in which to conduct a range of different investigation types.
With its streamlined interface, collaborative functionality and integrated intelligence capabilities, XIM was highly suited to the organization’s complex investigation structure. Whether investigating incidents of crime or fraud, breaches of compliance, or performing open source research, XIM helped the client efficiently collect, process and organize investigative data.
The XIM framework has been specifically designed with this in mind, ensuring each XIM deployment is configured to meet the customer’s exact needs: user roles, data entry forms, entity definitions and document workflows are all easily configurable. With a simple yet powerful workflow and built-in collaboration functionality, XIM was well suited to the wide variety of investigative scenarios undertaken by the client.
Download this case study in PDF.